If you’re like most people, you have some stressful days at work. Sometimes, when these build up, you may feel overwhelmed. But if you do just a few simple things, you can eliminate that stress at the end of each day and stay peaceful and calm all week long.
If you’re on a mission to be able to relax into your evening, then you’ll likely find the following at-home activities very helpful.
Try these simple, effective methods to help your mind and body become calm after a tense day at work:
- Soak your feet in warm water. This is a surprisingly easy way to encourage relaxation. Some therapists and spiritual teachers will tell you that the feet store a lot of energy. Soaking them in a bath of warm water will help positive energies start flowing into the feet and eventually throughout the rest of the body. Some tips:
- Avoid making the water too hot; you want to soothe your feet, not scald them!
- Add some aromatherapy oils to the water for added relaxation.
- Soak your feet while you’re doing something else that can help you unwind, like watching your favorite program on television or listening to calming music.
- Settle into a lavender bath. This is one of the best ways to relieve stress after a tough day at work! Lavender essence is known to instantly soothe ones’ senses and completely calm the nerves. All you need to do is fill your tub with water, add a few drops of lavender essential oil and jump in. You’ll instantly feel the stress slipping away!
- Turn on some soothing music. The peaceful sounds of instrumentals or nature can easily release tension from your body or your busy mind. Here are some ideas for soothing music that can help you create peace after a stressful day at work:
- Classical selections from Mozart or a symphonic orchestra
- Nature sounds: ocean waves breaking against the rocks or the sound of birds chirping
- Gentle spiritual music: Benedictine monks chanting or perhaps an African or Native American chant
- Try cucumber slices. After you’ve had your shower or bath, you can relax in bed with cool slices of cucumber placed on your closed eyes. Sometimes the entire body ends up feeling stressed when certain parts have been overworked. If you happen to spend a lot of time on the computer, soothing the eyes could easily bring relaxation to your whole body!
- Drink chamomile tea. Chamomile is an herb that you can rely on to calm and relax your senses and muscles. Try drinking a cup of chamomile before going to bed so you can get a good night’s sleep and feel rested in the morning.
After a few days of applying these at-home activities, you might even find that the stressors at work don’t impact you as easily. Because of this, your days will end up being less stressful overall. Eventually, you may find yourself needing these anti-stress activities less and less.
Remember that your body needs nurturing. Intentional relaxation is one way of taking care of your body. Stress can really take its toll, but if you try some techniques to relieve tension, you’ll soon find yourself healthier and happier than ever before.